Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Report to your lifeboats -- the ship may be going down.

I bought a lottery ticket today. I know that it's often called a tax on those who can't do math, but to me it's a $1 ticket to give myself the opportunity to dream about what I'd do if I DID win the $150 million. (Yeah, I know that TECHNICALLY I could dream without spending the $1, but it's not the same). Today's dream is: never work again. That's all. Buy a house, be able to go to pay the bills and have a car and go on vacation without the stress of wondering about the next paycheck.

There's been stuff going on at work lately - bosses in closed doors meetings ALL DAY yesterday. Today the mystery was out, and the punchline is 2 (of 4) salaried staff were let go. That leaves two salaried staff left, and I'm one of them.

The good news: I'm safe. As the senior of the salaried staff, and being in a position where they need at least one salaried person to get the job I do done, if I don't have a job anymore NO ONE has a job anymore.

The bad news: It sucks when colleagues you consider friends are forced to leave. All the folks who have been fired from this job previously needed to go because they were horrible co-workers (some of them were very nice people, just not good colleagues. All the good colleagues that have gone have left of their own free will.) The other remaining salaried person was basically told that IF they were to have to cut back more she would be the next to go, and gave her a phone number to call so she could get something in line if it came to that. This part REALLY sucks because she moved here for this job, and now is probably going to move again - 6 months later - so she can be closer to her kids. I'd almost prefer if they would line me up with a new job so that she could stay in the salaried position here.

There's a fine line between "loyal" and "sucker". Unfortunately, it's a line you can't see unless you're looking in the rearview mirror. I think I'm still on the right side of the line, but only time will tell. The saving grace is that with the experience that I've gained over the past 18 months and with the connections the bosses have in the industry, whatever happens they should be able to hook me up with a job.

Maybe this weeks events warrant a $2 investment in that lottery.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, does this mean you're gonna be stuck doing the work of 3 people??? I know you've already put in massive hours.

We need to talk soon. Not about anything in particular on my end, but I just need to talk to you. Just to talk. Y'know?

Love,

Kaphine

6:25 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

No, it's maybe 1.5 people's worth of work at the end of it all.

Here's the math:

We started with:
1 IT guy
1 Receptionist
2 Processors < -- here's where I fall into place.

We've lost:
1 IT guy - someone else is picking up his stuff
1 Receptionist - I'm picking up here. But some of her stuff goes to the boss. Some of her stuff goes away, or just gets absorbed into the whole, and we're shrinking, so there's less stuff for her to do, so it really only counts as .5 person's worth of stuff.

The other processor is the maybe next to go, but given work loads it would just mean I can keep busy all day and get paid on more files.

From a financial standpoint it's good, from a keeping busy standpoint it's good. I hate doing the admin-y reception stuff, but I can cope, and the smaller we gt the less admin-y stuff there is to do.

We really do need to chat - give me a ring sometime this week (I never remember to call until it's too late your time).

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep trying to call, but it seems that when I wanna call, realsupergirl's tying up the phone line. Ugh! Wanna chat badly.

kaphine

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Realsupergirl (aka She Who Ties Up Phone Lines) here...

It's so funny to read your description of lottery tickets, because that's almost word-for-word how my mother describes her lottery ticket purchasing...it's a $1 fantasy. Most of the time she forgets to even check to see if she's won (probably more now - they're back to not having a TV)...

5:49 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

For me it's a routine. I buy them at the AM/PM where I will frequently stop at the end of my lunch hour for a Diet Coke. I purchase the ticket, and place it in a storage compartment in my car. A week or so later I will realize it is there (usually after passing a billboard for the lottery), and take it into the store to see that I have lost. They've got little bar-code scanners you can check tickets with here. Then, a week or so later I'll be driivng around and realize I don't have a ticket in the storage compartment in the car, so will go to buy one on my next outing at the AM/PM.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use the barcode scanner to see if I've won, but at some point I realized...what if they're out to get me? So I try to check on-line these days.

Love,
Breast Gambier

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home