Thursday, June 24, 2004

Cat Psychology

I've been suffering an identity crisis on behalf of my cat for the past few days.

He continues to be a psychic homosexual with an Oedipal complex, but his origins are questionable now.

I originally acquired him almost ten years ago (!) from the Washington County animal shelter. I remember he was very tiny, huddled in the back of the cage, and absolutely adorable. Someone had already staked a claim on him, but given that the person hadn't cared enough to put down a cash deposit the shelter worker decided that I got to take him home with me.

Samson, if you haven't met him, looks like a gray tabby cat. But he yowls like a siamese and has these piercing blue eyes that everyone seems to fall in love with.

The first time I took him into the vet I asked some sort of question as to whether she could ascertain what type of cat Samson was. I don't recall the exact wording, but I'm quite confident that I phrased it in a matter of "I'd like to know, but it's not going to significantly impact my life one way or the other if you can't tell me." Maybe I didn't even ask her anything, I honestly don't remember.

What I do remember is that, without missing a beat (or without being prompted), with such complete confidence in her voice no one could doubt her, she proclaimed that Samson was almost entirely blue point siamese. If he were a purebred the only distinction would be a thumbprint-sized marking on one of his ears. I had no reason to doubt her, so I've spent the last 10 years believing that I own an almost purebred blue point siamese.

The other night I was mindlessly surfing the web, and something compelled me to do a search on "blue point siamese". I found some pictures. There is no way on the face of this planet that my cat is a blue point siamese.If you've met my cat you need only look at these photos for proof. OK, he might have some blue point blood in him. Maybe a grandparent or a more distant relative, but somewhere along the line some grey tabby cat blood got into the lineage, and it's showing its full colors now.

At first this disturbed me. We've been living a lie for all these years. But now it seems fitting. Being adopted myself, I have no idea what my heritage is. As I like to put it, I'm whatever I want to be as the mood strikes. Now Samson has the same freedom. He can be a blue point siamese if he wants, or a gray tabby cat if that's more fitting the occasion. He's still a psychic homosexual with an Oedipal complex, but that's just what makes him Samson.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ethnicity was my 1/2 sis's first question when she found us. For years she had been claiming to be scandinavian or something like that--she's pale and blonde. The second Q was medical history. Then the rest of the questions were all about getting to know us.

k.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I can hardly beleive it's been 10 years since Suite Marie.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is Samson psychic?

Paul (The Giraffe)

4:29 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

Samson has the ability to sense when certain people (my mom and me primarily) are on the other end of the phone line and/or are thinking hard about the other one, and he wil come up and chew on me (or mom if the tables are turned) in order to get attention.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow, I'm really anxious for your next post. I'm looking for little breaks in my hellish days, and want to check in with my closest friends.

kaphine

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home