Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Airports

I miss the days when you could go past the security checkpoint at the airport without a ticket.  So when you went to pick someone up you could meet them at their gate, and have that wonderful heart-felt reunion immediately after they get off the plane.

I've been pondering this lately, and trying to figure out what's so magical about airports.  They're a great place to people watch, yes, but it's got to be more than that.

Then a memory came to mind that could only have happened at the airport - my friend Kaphine and I were at the airport to pick up her partner.  (She was without wheels at the moment, so I was the designated driver).  I'd had a long day, it was late, I needed caffeine, so I stopped at the nearest Coffee People stand and ordered a gigantic Slamahamma.  The barista looked at me with shock, "Are you aware that's the caffeine equivalent to six cups of coffee?"  (Made with Black Tiger blend, which is twice the caffeine of normal coffee, and a huge is a three-shot extravaganza).  OF COURSE I knew -- I'd probably ordered at least 50 of this exact drink within the last year -- that's WHY I was ordering it.  But, if I were a random tourist who had never been to Portland before, had never had the joy of experiencing the beauty that is Coffee People, well, I wouldn't have known. 

So now I have this theory.  The airport distills down the essence of the city's shopping and dining culture.  At the Portland airport (the airport I know best) you've not only got Coffee People, but you've also got Powell's Books, Nike, Norm Thompson, and Made in Oregon.  However, it offers a watered-down version to prepare you for the real thing.  Coffee People is more wary of your drink choice, and there's not a used book to be found (and you don't need a map) to navigate Powell's.  It helps ease you into the culture of the city you're entering (or ease you out of the one you're leaving as the case may be.)

Now if I could only figure out where there seems to be a law that all airports must always be under construction.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Logan airport has a really cool complicated kinetic scupture piece that you can watch for hours and hours. I guess that says something about Boston - we're geeky and playful.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno, babe. I feel like I can go to a Sbarro or a Burger King or a fairly typical brew-pub at any airport of a given size in the US. Powell's in Portland? Cool. The exception to the rule. And now that Fannie Mae isn't selling in O'Hare, what's the point?

I like the randomness of the people you'll encounter--going from anywhere to anywhere. LOVE that. The idea of "I don't know you, and never will, and will never be within 200 miles of you again, but right now, I just tripped over your rolly-carry-on." Makes me think of how big the world is. In fact, yesterday at Midway, the charming youngster selling me a turkey sandwich said, upon seeing my shirt: "Kenyon in Gambier Ohio? That was my second choice." RANDOM and cool. Also, I like sitting next to guys in the brewpub, watching ballgames, and having no idea who they'll be rooting for.

Internationally, I just like looking at the departure boards. It excites me. I could go ANYWHERE. From Antananarivo to Zurich.

Love,

Some tall nearsighted guy

2:15 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

I was thinking of Fannie Mae while I was writing my post as well. O'Hare also has a little storefront for the local museum gift-shop in the United Terminal. And there's the great light-sculpture in some underground tunnel I had to run through once. And the sports-bar in the food court is very Chicago-esque. I'm not saying I can't load up on the ubiquitous Stabucks, Cinnabon and McDonald's, but there's local flavor as well.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that lighted underground tunnel. It's mesmerizing.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home