Sunday, July 25, 2004

My name is Michelle Stevens and I approve of this blog.

Why do our presedential candidates feel the need to add a disclaimer stating their endorsement of the commercial to the end of their ads?  I've just spent 30 seconds - 1 minute listening to how cool you are and how good you'd be as president.  Is there a chance you WOULDN'T approve of that message?  Are you afraid I won't realize that the ad is trying to convince me you should be president?  Will I confuse it with an ad for the other guy?

If you really want to make your intentions known you should run that blurb at the end of advertisements for other products.  Who approved brand X of dishwashing detergent?  Who approves of the newest sitcom on TV?  I might actually start to pay attention to politics if they did that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I understand it, the "I approve this message..." disclaimers came out of the negative attack ads that were put on, some of which were apparently funded and created by special interest groups. So the idea was to tell the viewers/voters which ones are actually expressing things that the candidate really agrees with and stands behind, and the hold them more accountable to any negative attack ads they may use.

Now, have they accomplished that? I'm dubious. And I agree, they do sound pretty dorky.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home