Tuesday, September 27, 2005

If the Glass Slipper Fits

I have just witnessed what is, quite possibly, the most bizarre bit of cross-promotion ever.

Sweetie and I were watching "Who's Number 1?" on ESPN Classic. The topic this week was "Cinderella Stories." If you're not familiar with the show, they take a topic and rank the twenty best sports moments that fit the bill. Number 1 tonight was the Miracle on Ice.

And then, at the end of the show, running across the scroll at the bottom of the screen, "For more Cinderella Stories check out the special feature on Disney's Cinderella on DVD, available October 4th." (paraphrased from memory)

Is Disney going to sell even ONE extra DVD as a result of this promotion? Are the sports fans now clamoring to get that DVD? Now, I'm sure that someone such as Hugh, a sports fan who is father to two young girls, might end up buying the DVD and might enjoy the feature (I don't know if Hugh will be buying the DVD or not, he's just the only sports-fan with daughters and a blog I could think of), but I don't think people will go out and buy the DVD BECAUSE of this feature.

What will be next? Give me your best ideas. Hey, I'm looking for a job in marketing now... maybe I'll steal some of them and use 'em to land me a job!

1 Comments:

Blogger pankleb said...

MNF halftime
McGraw sings about highlights
Oh, wait. It's been done.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home