Tuesday, October 18, 2005

It's Only Temporary

Well, the job search charges on full-speed ahead, but I've gotten to the point where I'm caught up on outgoing applications, so I'm signing up with some temp agencies to keep me out of trouble while waiting for the next big thing.

As of this afternoon, I am officially registered with three different companies. I've got another one to go to tomorrow afternoon, and that should be plenty to keep me busy. This afternoon's is my favorite at the moment, as they had called me with an assignment before I even made it home from the appointment with them. I shall do reception and admin work for a mental health clinic for one day next week. Should be a piece of cake, as the crazy brother has prepared me well for dealing with others who suffer mental illness.

I'm already sick of going into temp agencies for these interviews. If you haven't been before, in addition to filling out an application and other random paperwork, they generally have you take computerized tests to evaluate you on your skills with software and your typing speed. Generally I'm required to take a test on Word, Excel, and typing. On the Excel test I usually miss one asking about some function I don't know the name to or I hit a key wrong or something, and the folks totally fawn over my Excel skills. Now don't get me wrong, I've got some pretty kick-ass Excel skills -- once upon a time I had a job in which I created a report in Excel that was about 20 pages worth of linked data, charts, formulas, if/then statements... if it was a bell or whistle that Excel offered, it was probably included in this spreadsheet. However, the fact that I know how to add up a column of numbers, or how to merge cells together, does not relegate me to deity status. My head gets any bigger and I may need some of those mental health services next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home