Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Amazing Race 8: Episode 2

I hate them all. OK, the Aiellos still haven't done anything to piss me off, and I've become endeared to the Weavers, in part because there wasn't too much talk of Jesus tonight, but beyond that I pretty despise every single team out there. Of course, that's not going to be stopping me from watching the race.

I think it's the whole family dysfunction factor. Put any four members of my family together and we can play nice over a weekend, but force us together for an extended period of time. In an SUV. Camping. While running a race. Yeah, I'm pretty much ready to go postal on them all just thinking about it.

Thankfully, the worst of the bunch is gone now. Dad Rogers is an asshole extrordinare, but his assholeness got him eliminated tonight. He's the southern dad who's in charge of it all. And he gave his son some wrong directions after the first clue from which they never recovered. Of course, he TRIED to blame the son for missing the non-existent turn at the time of the mistake. The son also tried to confirm he was going the correct direction orginally, but there's not much that can be done about it now. I'd have been curious to be at the Rogers house this evening, watching the episode, to see if Dad could admit to what an asshole he is. I suspect not. At least Brock, the son, seems to understand that his dad is an asshole. And now he has televised proof of the fact. And even though they didn't win I bet that Brock will get laid a LOT as a result of this show. So hey, you win some you lose some.

There is one thing that I'm liking as a result of the family factor. Generally on detours there is a physical choice and a time consuming choice. Teams of two are always reasonably fit, and challenges are of such a level that you're pretty much always going to pick the physical choice. Doesn't make for much suspense. But when you have 9 year old girls. Or 50-something housewives. Or dad's on the fast track to a heart attack. Well, then you might need to reconsider which choice you make. Teams are making some silly choices in places, but for the most part there is a divide there that should be followed. And it's not all that tough to run the race with a 9 year old. The other members of the team just need to be physically strong enough to compensate for the fact that the kid ain't doing squat when it comes to carrying heavy objects.

This being a road trip we eliminate the random cab driver of death (as in, you get the cabbie that doesn't understand you're in a race and need to go fast, and therefore you get eliminated). Instead, it's all a matter of when you stop to fill up the tank. Dad Weaver worked for NASCAR before his untimely passing, I wonder if that team will be strategically better off knowing when to bring the car in for a pit stop. Hmmm...

And I've said it before, but apparently it needs to be said again. READ THE CLUES YOU IDIOTS!!! When the clue says go to the US Capitol Reflecting Pool DON'T spend two hours running around the reflecting pool at the Washington Memorial. (I didn't realize there were two reflecting pools before watching tonight's episode, but if I wasn't having luck at the one reflecting pool I'd like to think I'd ask someone a question or re-read the clue before wasting two hours searching for it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home