Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Gets You Back Where You Belong

Farmers Insurance disgusts me. The big news on Seattle radio of late has been the story of Ethel Adams. A synopsis: seven months ago an asshole tried to run his girlfriend down. His car hit girlfriend's car, girlfriend's care hit Ethel's car, Ethel goes into a coma for nine days and seven months later can't walk. Yet the insurance company won't pay because it wasn't an "accident."

Now I can understand how the damage to asshole's car isn't an accident. I can MAYBE understand how the damage to the girlfriend's car isn't an accident, and she needs to sue the hell out of the boyfriend to get the repairs done. But I don't think anyone ever had any intent of mowing Ethel down. How can they NOT deem this an accident?

Ethel's lawyers are crafty, though, and they've let all the local media know the story. Several of them have been passing the story along to us and to the Insurance Commissioner's Office. And NOW Farmers' thinking they might pay out after all.

Once upon a time I was insured by Farmers. Went through two accidents with them without issue. Although in both instances it was the other person's insurance that was paying the bill (both were idiots running red lights, in one instance she admitted guilt and in the other I had a witness). Also, the agent was also a good friend of Dad's from his days in the insurance biz, so there was surely some indirect nepotism at play.

If they were still my insurer they might not be for long. At the least, I'd be studying my policies. In fact, I think I should at that to my list of things to do. See how my insurance company defines "accident" so that be prepared for when the unexpected happens. You may want to as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home