Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Power of the Network

There is something very satisfying about being a grown-up with a network of friends. There is something even more satisfying about the fact that in this modern age the network of friends can be anywhere, and can still give a girl a hand.

Once upon a time I lived in Seattle. Then I returned to Portland. Shortly after arriving back in PDX I was at The Fulton Pub with Kaphine and somehow we got talking about people I knew and people she knew and people we both knew and how that could translate into jobs and fun times by all, and I remember turning to her and saying something to the effect of, "Man, it's good to be in a place where I've already got a network!" (Paraphrased, due to the fact that the conversation took place 8 years ago, and the fact that we were drinking beers, quite possibly Terminator, so the memory may be a bit hazy.)

That's one of the hardest parts of moving to a new place, is abandoning the network. Not only on a professional level, but on a friendship level as well.

But now, with this new-fangled internet, the network can come along with you! GrigorPDX has clued me in to a Career Fair that seems like it might be just up my alley. Not only that, but access to another online site on which I might be able to find the dream job. Yay for friends! (And if I procure employment through one of these leads I promise a finders fee to GrigorPDX, maybe some of the aforementioned Terminator).

They say it's not what you know, it's who you know. Thankfully, the whos I know know what I know so they can help out a Swankette in need.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Oh man! I thought you already knew about idealist.org ... if I'd know you hadn't seen it yet I would have said something weeks ago.

Mmm. Beer.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home