Thursday, December 23, 2004

Masochistic Me

Today the bosses gave me a half-day off and a gift certificate to the local mall. Two days before Christmas with an afternoon free what's a girl to do except go to the mall to spend it. Don't ask me what I was thinking putting myself into that situation, because I still don't know the answer.

But I came out of the day with two FANTABULOUS knives -- an 8" chefs knive and a 4" paring knife. It's amazing the difference a good knife can make, and if you stop by the condo sometime in the next week you might well get to hear my ode to my knives.

Interesting experience happened while I was waiting to purchase the knives:

The fellow in front of me was paying with cash. Specifically, a $100 bill. The employee took her magic pen to make sure it wasn't counterfeit, and THE PEN MARKED THE BILL, which meant it was counterfeit. You could tell the employee was pained when she informed the gentleman that she couldn't take his money because it bore the mark of a counterfeit. The guy was flabergasted, and questioned the employee on what he could do now with that money. The employee and her co-worker suggested if he knew where he had obtained that $100 bill he go to the source and see what could be done. As luck would have it, the guy had just gotten it from the bank, and had gotten two others just like it. He asked the employee to test those, too -- was the bank trying to scam him out of legitimate cash? They came back counterfeit as well.

The co-worker then took out his wallet. He was carrying a $50 and a $100. Both counterfeit.

Then they got a different pen. Turns out those pens that can magically determine whether or not a bill is counterfeit can be defective.

So if you ever pay with cash at a store and they try to tell you your bill is a counterfeit, ask them to try with a different magic pen. I'm assuming, as a reader of this blog, you are honest enough to not try to pass counterfeit money.

But enough blogging, I've got to go find something to cut with my knives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home