Monday, July 11, 2005

DO NOT EAT AT DANIEL'S BROILER

And spread the word to anyone you know who lives in Seattle, or may have reason to visit Seattle and might want to have dinner at a nice place.

I was given a gift certificate to the restaurant last week, due to some heroic feats that I accomplished at work. It's one of those places that Seattleites always go on and on about, and that you may need to take out a second mortgage to afford, so Sweetie and I decided to jump on the opportunity for a special date before the wedding. He put on a tie, I put on a skirt, and we had a nice little outing. The waiter was a bit corny for our tastes, but what are you going to do?

Then we came home and Sweetie got sick. Based on the symptoms, the suspected culprit was MSG, and he called the restaurant tonight to confirm that was what started it all. It was. Sweetie then spoke to a manager and suggested that one of the most upscale restaurants in Seattle might want to stop using MSG. Outback Steakhouse and Rock Bottom Brewery (among other chains) have both managed to take all MSG off their menus. The cheapest of chinese restaurants advertise no MSG. It would seem that if you are going to go to the efforts of serving exclusively USDA prime cuts you wouldn't go mucking it up with MSG. But, apparently, Daniel's doesn't want to offer the quality product found at Outback and Rock Bottom. And when dinner for two will set you back $200, why bother providing fresh, quality food?

My mission now is to spread the word as loudly and as widely as I can that you SHOULD NOT EAT AT DANIEL'S BROILER. Because when Sweetie was complaining to the manager, suggesting this change, just wanting an ear to listen to him and say "Dude, sorry you got sick" the manager LAUGHED AT HIM. Sweetie accepted culpability for the illness, because he really SHOULD HAVE asked if there was MSG in anything. But this is the nicest restaurant in town - only places like Applebee's and TGIFriday's still use MSG in anything. But the manager yelled at my Sweetie, laughed at my Sweetie, and generally disrespected my Sweetie in any way that you can be disrespected over the phone. I can vouch for this, because sitting 5 feet away I could hear what the manager was saying to my Sweetie over the phone.

When I go out for an expensive dinner I don't want to be served by people who will disrespect me and my Sweetie. If you're going out for a nice dinner you don't want to be disrespected, either. If you're looking for a nice dinner in the Seattle Metropolitan area I recommend traveling across Lake Washington to the Yarrow Bay Grill, we've been there a couple of times now, and they give you good food AND respect!

Bon Apetit!

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

Wow. I would have expected better customer service since so many places can get sued nowadays. I didn't even know MSG existed any longer. Was a warning printed on the menu?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

Nope, no warnings. Usually you need to look out for it at low-scale chains (TGIFridays, Applebees), but even the high scale chains have fully eliminated it from their menus.

Local places can be dangerous, but with Sweetie's allergy we've learned to work around all that. Usually we're both really good at checking because it makes him REALLY sick, but because this is such a supposedly nice place it didn't even cross our minds until it was too late.

8:48 AM  
Blogger lemming said...

Have you considered asking to speak to that manager's manager? Or was that the head manger? Take it to the top! Spread the word!

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home