Monday, June 20, 2005

Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon

I believe, at the tender age of 33, I might have finally have made it out of puberty.

For 2/3 of my life I have battled acne. In high school and college I would occassionally go on courses of accutane, but that stuff is EXPENSIVE (last time I was on it was about 10 years ago and it ran over $200/month at the time). Also, with more common usage of the drug and my original dermatologist's retirement circa 1993 the hoops you must jump through have become quite ridiculous. Last time I went on the drug (with a new dermatologist and a chaste lifestyle) I had to take a pregnancy test, promise not to become pregnant, and I'm really surprised she didn't force me onto birth control just to make sure I wasn't some moron that didn't understand how babies got made. (Accutane can cause HORRIBLE birth defects in babies, so you don't want to have a baby while on the drug) Nowadays if I found need to go back on the drug they'd probably either force Sweetie and myself to move to different states or require a tubal ligation before they'd write the prescription.

BUT THAT'S NOT NECESSARY!

For the past 22 years of my life I don't think a day has gone by without either a zit or chapstick on my face (chapstick required when you're on the anti-acne drugs). Hormones exacerbate this. Stress exacerbates this. Given the hormones in my system at the moment and the wedding being a month and a half away (no, no stress here) me entire face should be one, giant pimple.

But no, the complexion is clear. To the extent that both my Mom and Sweetie commented on my clear skin recently. I think I've finally passed my adolesence.

I'm very excited about this, but it's a little bit creepy that it's happening so close to the wedding. Had I known this would be a side benefit of getting married I might have looked for Mr. Right a lot harder in my twenties.

But I don't want to jinx it. Now I fear I'll have an enormous zit on the end of my nose for the wedding.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

Maybe this means when your 75 your body will think it's 60 -- that can be a good thing...

I know the wedding countdown is on. Can't wait to hear the details!

9:32 AM  
Blogger kaphine said...

My face is fine, but I've got a MAJOR break out on my shoulders, upper back, and upper arms. Ugh!

5:55 AM  
Blogger Army of Mom said...

Unfortunately, at our age, we're battling both the start of laugh lines and zits.

I don't think we ever "outgrow" zits. Dammit.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home