Thursday, October 06, 2005

Listen Up

Well, there's an hour of my life I won't be getting back. Just got back from the second interview of the day. I suspect I may be offered the job, but I'll be turning it down if that happens.

I've been working a wee bit with an employment agency. After posting my resume on Monster at least three different employment agencies have contacted me. In each case it was to offer me the same position I just left. In each case my response has been the same, "Thanks, but the reason I left is to move back into marketing/event planning type stuff, as I've done during the rest of my career thus far." The first two agencies said they'd keep my info on file, but the third agency had a marketing position she put me up for. Coolio!

Well, I've been underwhelmed with the results thus far, and we've slipped into way negative numbers now. The original call was a few weeks ago, and there still hasn't been any word on the initial job she proposed to me. And few phone calls or e-mails as to status or why the delays. I'd pretty much given up on this route.

So last Friday I get a call from her, "OK, we're still waiting to hear on job #1, but I've got another job that I think you would be perfect for. It's Executive Assistant for a Mortgage Wholesaler! What do you think?"

Well, I think that I'm not really looking to be an admin. Nothing against it, but a year from now I'll be bored to tears and ready to move on to something new. Oh yeah, and I want to work in marketing, not be an admin.

"This job entails a lot of marketing, and has the potential to grow into something else."

It doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but I'm willing to interview for it. It never hurts to listen to what they have to say.

The interview was this afternoon. I could rock the job big-time, but it's most definitely an executive assistant/admin sort of thing, and most definitely not a stepping stone into bigger and better things within the company. Sorry, but Swankette doesn't want to play that game. I feel a little bit bad, because they boss was a really nice guy. But better he be rejected by me now then have the benefit of my skills for a year or so and then have to replace me because I've been bored to tears.

But his time and my time didn't need to be wasted, as the job was so not up my alley. Oh, well.

This morning's interview seemed to go really well, and it's actually a job that could turn into a career. Imagine that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home