Tuesday, November 15, 2005

And So It Begins...

Thanks to the fine upbringing of my mother, I am genetically incapable of beginning the holiday celebrations prior to Thanksgiving. But once we're past turkey day, watch out!

However, the holidays don't really start with the most fabulous feast of the year. They start when you buy the food for the most fabulous feast of the year. And today I purchased a beautiful pumpkin that will sacrifice itself for a wonderful pie. Sugar pie pumpkins were on sale through today, and I didn't want to miss out on that.

But I think my eyes have been a bit larger than even my ginourmous pie plate. The pumpkin weighs in at 7 pounds. So if anyone has any suggestions on what to do with cooked down pumpkin, I'd appreciate it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

One word: soup.

Seriously - it's awesome, especially if you add a little spiciness to it.

4:56 PM  
Blogger kaphine said...

Pumpkin freezes well. I'm a big fan of pumpkin bread (almost addicted to Starbuck's pumpkin bread). Oh, and I made a pumpkin bread pudding by crossing a pumpkin custard recipe with a bread pudding recipe. It was yummy.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Mmmmm ... pumpkin pie. And in that pie plate, too.

9 days and counting!

10:10 AM  
Blogger lemming said...

Pumpkin bread - very yummy with canned pumpkin, to die for with fresh.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Shannin said...

Two pumpkin pies? Pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting. Pumpkin ice cream.

Yum...

5:05 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

The pie plate takes a double recipie of filling, so it's effectively two standard pies worth. Add the apple pie that will be made for Sweetie (since he's allergic to egg), and that's MORE than enough pie.

I'm leaning towards soup, ice cream, or ravioli. The muffins, breads, etc. all sound tasty, but all sound like they have egg in them as well.

Early front-runner is pumpkin, just because I want an excuse to try out the ice cream maker we got for a wedding gift.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home