Sunday, October 31, 2004

I VOTED!

Today I filled out my absentee ballot, and once I'm done typing this entry will drive it to the local post office so I can say I've done my civic duty.

Over the past 14 years of voting I've voted permanent absentee in all but 3 elections. My first few elections I voted absentee because I was in college and so could not make it to the local polls. The first time I was going to vote at the local polling place I was giddy. I think I'd seen too many images of the local polling place with voting machines and fancy booths with curtains that slide shut that I was destined for dissapointment. The polling place was about 1/4 mile from my apartment at the time, but I drove there on my way to work. It was in a classroom at the local medical school. I wound my way through the halls to the appropriate room. There were a few cardboard "booths" set up on one side of the room, where you could stand if you wanted some sense of privacy. There was a big table in the middle of the room where several people were sitting completing ballots. I completed my ballot and put it into the box. The experience was exactly like voting absentee, but I did it down the street with a bunch of other people around. I'd rather be sitting at the dining room table thank you very much.

The second experience was in Washington, and was a bit closer to what I had originally dreamed voting at the local polling place to be like. I went to the basement of the local church. Stood in line. Pulled the curtain shut behind me. Now I felt like I was publicly doing my civic duty, and making a difference. It made me proud to stand there with other people, casting a decision about America's future.

My final time voting at the polling place was the 1996 Presidential Election. In addition to President there were a LOT of other important issues on the ballot and I wanted my voice to be heard. It was one of those crazy days at work, and I was frantic to make it out of the office in time to make it to the polling place before it closed. I scrambled out of the office and through the dark, rainy evening, through Seattle traffic, to cast my vote. I got to the polling place and the line was insane. At least 30 people in front of me and something like 4 voting booths. I wanted to be at home under a blanket, but would stand in line for 30+ minutes so my voice could be heard. I waited. Inched forward. Waited a little longer. Finally got to cast my vote.

Of the important ballot issues I voted on that day, not a single one went the way I wanted it to. Mine was not a deciding vote for POTUS or any of the other positions on the ballot. Voting in a polling place was highly overrated.

So now I am on permanent absentee status. That means they mail my ballot to me, and I can fill it out at my leisure. Use the lazy Sunday afternoon to get it done, in case Tuesday turns out too crazy to allow me the necessary time. I can sit at my computer to read the voters pamphlets and research candidates and issues online. And when it gets to be too much I've got my remote control, so I can find an amusing diversion to allow my anger at political messages to subside so I can make a well reasoned vote.

You've heard it before, but I'll reiterate it again. Your vote counts this election, so make sure your voice is heard. And if the line at the polling place is too long this time, consider becoming an absentee voter. Your vote will count just as much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home