Thursday, October 21, 2004

Psycho Kitty

Today I took my cat to the vet in preparation for his upcoming move to the grandparents'. He's miserable when in the cat carrier and in the car (moans the whole time), but if I drug him up he sleeps and is just fine.

Most cats, when you take them to the vet, are stress-cases. Vets do not do nice things to them. My cat LOVES it at the vets office. I believe the reason for this is two-fold. 1) It means he is let out of the cat carrier, if only for a few minutes. 2) All the vet-techs at his first veterinarians ADORED him. As soon as we showed up they would tear the carrier from my hands so they could take him into the back and lavish attention on him. As a result, when you take him to the vet he turns into a purr machine and loves EVERYONE he comes into contact with.

So I've got the world's mellowest cat who's madly in love with the vet and I'm asking for drugs to calm him down for the roadtrip. I was given the third degree. Why are we traveling? Where are we traveling to? When are we traveling? Have I started packing for the trip yet?

We passed the test and Samson was prescribed valium for his move to the grandparents'. He'll be living there until mid-February (moving into a construction zone = let's leave him in Portland as long as we can), so the vet said if I wanted more for the trip home to give him a call and he'd do a new prescription.

Then I go to the pharmacy and am prescribed about twice as much as what the cat needs for this expedition. Two options:
  1. He went ahead and prescribed for the trip home now.
  2. He thinks I need to be on valium, so threw a little extra in for fun.

According to the prescription bottle:

May cause drowsiness. Alcohol may intensify this effect. Use
care when operating a car or dangerous machinery.

So there goes the plan to go drinking with the cat Saturday afternoon and then have him take the wheel for part of the trip to Portland.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Your vet is giving you "extra" valium, just in case you... I mean the cat... needs a little hit?

Damn.

See, I live in horse country...

10:46 PM  
Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

I thought the kitty was going to get a job as a backhoe operator this weekend.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home