Tuesday, October 19, 2004

No on Nethercutt

By the time the election rolls around anyone reading my blog could probably fill out my ballot, as it appears I'm blogging on a lot of the hot issues.

The US Senate race in Washington is between Patty Murray (D), incumbent, and George Nethercutt (R). Nethercutt's ads disgust me, so I cannot, in good faith, vote for him.

The most egregious is an ad in which he shows a cleverly edited clip of Patty Murray appearing to say nice things about Osama bin Laden. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's just spin. High school students get it, so do other voters.

However, the current ad I've seen all over the place disturbs me a little bit more, because it's not as easy to spot how skewed it is. The ad features his daughter talking about all the great things her Dad has done. How he's out there trying to make the world a better place for all of us. How do we know this? Well, he did great work for diabetics. How does his daughter know? SHE'S a diabetic!!!

Um, OK, so you did a cool thing that would affect an immediate member of your family. Did you do equally cool things for challenged people who aren't members of your family? I now know you're a nepotistic person, but I don't want nepotism in Washington. Well, more nepotism. The Bush nepotism is more than enough for our country.

Thankfully, Patty Murray doesn't disgust me. If she did, I'm not quite sure what I'd do. In 1992 I voted for my Dad for US Senate, because I hated both Packwood and AuCoin and the smear tactics they were engaging in. However, my Dad isn't a resident of Washington, so I wouldn't be able to give him my vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home