Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Jacket Required

I've been a shoe fiend for a long time now. I think it officially started in 1995 when I bought a pair of white Doc Marten brogues (aka the mafia golf shoes), and continues strong to this day.

I've got another confession to make. I just realized it today. I've got a coat/jacket fetish as well.

It started in Junior High, when my brother and I would fight over Dad's two prized jackets. One was a wool stadium jacket and the other was a vintage Levi's jeans jacket. I had the stadium jacket in Jr. High, but ended up with the Levi's jacket.

In high school it was the funky trenchcoat courtesy of goodwill. Then it was the leather bomber jacket I got for my 16th birthday.

Post-college came my first splurge for a totally frivolous, but necessary jacket. It was a plaid blazer that I bought at Nordstrom Rack for around $45.00. At the time the wardrobe priorities were cheap and multi-tasking. I was trying to create a work wardrobe out of nothing. I tried to avoid buying the jacket. I knew I didn't need the jacket. But I had to have the jacket. I finally justified the purchase because I had just graduated with a degree in marketing, and in my marketing 101 class in college the day we covered sales the professor always wore his plaid jacket, in honor of the cheezy used car salesman in the stereotypical plaid jacket. My plaid jacket was in honor of him and his plaid jacket.

Next was the raincoat. Couldn't just be the standard raincoat, had to be a red trenchcoat.

There have been more, but you get the idea. Today I added to the collection again.

The irony of it all. I prefer going barefoot, and am the one who will not take a coat with me when I'm going to the mall in the middle of winter, because it seems like such a waste of effort when you're only needing it for the two minutes walking from the car into the building. (Until your car breaks down, but that's a different post).

3 Comments:

Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

Babe,

I've seen your senior picture. You look DAMN good in that bomber jacket.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

If you have a Doc Marten fetish, Swankette, you should definitely not go to this link and check out the art boots being auctioned off to support the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund...

http://www.stardust-and-alchemy.com/portfolio/fgdmboots/endlessdocs.htmlalthough, in fairness, if you've not read the Neil Gaiman "Sandman" comics, they're probably more of just a curiosity.

I think I'm lucky that most of them probably aren't in my size...

6:54 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

I wouldn't call it a Doc fetish, as I only own two pairs (purple 8 hole boots and the mafia golf shoes previously mentioned), and the most recent pair was purchased in 1995, but I definitely dig them.

And although I'm not familiar with the "Sandman" series, if the Desire Docs were my size I might have to have them. However, they are a UK 8, and I am a UK 6.

You know the girl has a thing for shoes when she knows her UK size in addition to her US size.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home