Sunday, October 31, 2004

Election Day

I'm sick of the signs. I'm sick of the ads. I'm sick of the fact that I must check out the Election Scorecard on Slate.com every morning before I can start work.

I can still remember election night 2000. I'd stayed home from work that day sick. So that night I was lying on the futon/couch watching the results come in. I should have gone to bed early, so I could be a functioning human being at work the next day. I ended up setting an alarm clock in the living room and falling asleep in the middle of the night not knowing who would be President.

These two factors combined have me fearing Tuesday night. Sweetie and I perched on the edge of the count, stress levels rising, getting infuriated with the circus that is going on in front of us. I can't do it. I need a break from it all.

So Tuesday night we're going out on the town. Talking some friends into going along with us. It will likely be an early dinner, maybe a movie. Hopefully won't be too crowded since everyone else will be at home pondering the election. No talk of politics will be allowed. It will be an escapist fantasy. And we'll get home early enough that we can engage for a short time in the pollster results, see if we've got a new president yet or not.

I've just completed my absentee ballot, so it seems fitting that I be absent for the election.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home