Sunday, November 14, 2004

Movie Review: The Incredibles

Went to see The Incredibles this weekend with my parents. It was an excellent movie, as everyone else seems to agree, so I wont dwell on that here. However, there are a few outstanding items of note that I have not seen mentioned yet:

The villan is obviously an homage to Heat Miser from the old Rankin and Bass Christmas Special The Year Without a Santa Claus. Add an incidental hero named Frozone who could be an African-American Snow Miser and I'm humming the tunes all the day long. THIS is the eye to detail the folks at Pixar have.

Sarah Vowell has the voice of an angst-ridden teenage girl. Angst-ridden teenage girls everywhere could learn a thing or two or ten from her.

The character that steals the show, however, is the costume designer who appears to be Edith Head as played by a campy Linda Hunt (from The Year of Living Dangerously). I think I was laughing every second this character was on the screen, and will now look down my nose on every superhero with a cape.

So go see the movie. And if this review doesn't convince you, go read one of the other billion reviews out on the web and then go see it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Ooh! Sarah Vowell?

That alone would make it worth two hours of my time!

::me starts looking for movie schedules::

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Swankette,

Saw the movie too. But the designer is voiced by the director, Brad Bird. He auditioned hundreds of women and couldn't find the voice he wanted, so he did it himself!

Regards,
tommyspoon

10:23 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

tommyspoon - I think I remember reading/hearing that somewhere. He does a fantabulous job, but I still think he reminds me of a camped-up Linda Hunt. I don't see Linda Hunt doing campy, so that's probably why he had to do the voice himself. :)

My mom agrees, so we have a majority of two.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home