Thursday, November 04, 2004

Sadness

In the wake of the election I find myself getting sadder and sadder about the state of my country. And it's not all directed at who was selected as the leader of our country.

Politically I sit a little bit left of center most of the time. I voted predominantly democrat in this election, but a few republicans got my vote and one libertarian won me over (for the record, it was not a libertarian who suggested they would use their office to eliminate the office and all government, but a libertarian who promised fiscal conservatism in a position whose job it is to be fiscally conservative). Sitting where I do on the political spectrum it puts me to the right of most of my friends, and to the left of most of my family. You wouldn't know it from reading this blog, but usually I'm pretty politically apathetic.

My father is a hardcore republican. He grew up dirt poor in northern Wisconsin, and was told to learn to deal with it because it was his lot in life. His sister basically drank herself to death, a welfare mom with 6 different kids by 5 different dads (if memory serves). Dad used the military to get himself out of his situation, and worked himself up into a nice middle-class life in the suburbs. Because he was able to do this for himself he sincerely believes that everyone else can do this, too. I have a mentally ill brother that will never be able to pull himself up by his bootstraps (which Dad has a tough time with sometimes), and who takes advantage of Social Security and other social services out there. Dad would rather all taxes be cut, which would allow him to pay my brothers way through life rather than depending on the government.

My father is an intelligent, caring, thoughtful man. There is nothing he wouldn't do to help friends and family in a bind. He cares about his country, and wants to do what's best for it.

Being a republican and a Green Bay Packer fan I called my father Sunday morning and asked which trumped his rooting interests given the Washington Redskins were one of the best predictors of presidential race outcomes available. His response - if they can smash Babe Ruth's curse, they can smash this one, too.

My dad, of course, voted for Bush. Scanning the blog-o-sphere I've seen a lot of mean things said about Bush supporters the past few days. How they are stupid, narrow-minded, don't think for themselves, etc. I'm not saying there aren't stupid, narrow-minded republicans who don't think for themsleves. But guess what people, there are also stupid, narrow-minded democrats who don't think for themselves. Just because these people hold different beliefs from you does not make them horrible human beings. How open-minded is it to persecute them simply because they chose to exercise their right to vote? My father sincerely believes that Bush is the best leader for this country.

I've heard it said you need to keep your friends close, and keep your enemies closer. That's what I intend to do for the next four years. Not bitch and moan about how stupid republicans put us into this position, but try to befriend them and gain a little insight into their point of view. THIS is the way we're going to win people over to our side - by showing them the benefit of it. Not by calling them idiots because they can't see the benefits for themselves.

My mom is a pretty hardcore republican, too. But through talking to her, explaining issues to her, exploring all sides of the coin, she's voted for gay rights and other more progressive initiatives placed forth on the ballot in her state. On some of the more hot-button issues I count on my mom to cancel out my dad's vote.

This is what we need to be doing now as a nation. Not pointing fingers. Not rallying on about how smart we are. But looking at what we share in common. Make it so its not a red vs. blue country, but turn things all a bit more purple.




2 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

Have you ever read anything by P.J. O'Rourke? The introduction to _Parliament of Whores_ is called "Why God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat" and the last two paragraphs cover some of the same ground you cover in this post... except that it was written in 1991. (Amazing how things don't change.) Altruism and accountability are both far more complicated than the rhetoroic would have us believe.

Great post, BTW.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Amen, Swankette. Somehow, I don't think we'll build concensus calling each other "soccer moms and NASCAR dads."

Personally, I want considered, intellectually consistent positions. I want us to dig back to the first principles, and reason out how those principles apply across all policy decisions.

But then, I also want a pony.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home