Friday, December 24, 2004

The Joy of Cooking

We are now up to emergency trip to the store #3 for the Great Christamas Cook-Fest of 2005. (Just came up with that name now).

For the various family events over the next two days I am preparing four dishes.
- Hot Buttered Rum (at the request of the sweetie)
- an appetizer for the family gathering this evening
- a contribution to lunch tomorrow (hummus)
- a starch for dinner tomorrow night (parmesan biscuits)

The plan was to do the shopping on Wednesday and cook on Thursday. Did the shopping, made the hot buttered rum mix early so I could pawn some off on co-workers Thursday because the recipie I have makes a lot.

Last night after the expedition to the mall I jumped into the task ahead. Was planning on making tuna and roasted red pepper crostini for the appetizer. Had sweetie-friendly mayo in the cabinet at home, so didn't bother with that at the store. Got into the thick of the recipie and took a look at the ingredient list on the back of the mayo. Has corn in it. Means it's not family friendly. Time to go to the store. Except they don't make fully family friendly mayo for Sweetie's family. I can buy mayo Sweetie can have OR I can buy mayo his dad can have. The fun of a family with food allergies!

After a minor breakdown at Whole Foods I was able to regroup in the cookbook aisle and find a recipie for tapendade that used the ingredients that were sitting in the food processor at home (tuna, capers, garlic and lemon juice) and only required me to buy some olives. Dish #2 crossed off the list!

Then I dug into the hummus. Except there was no italian parsley in the fridge. I bought italian parsley during the initial shopping trip, so one of two things happened. Perhaps the parsley never made it into the bag. More likely is that it went into the garbage right when I got home. Since I took the opportunity of unpacking the bag to clean out the fridge, including some really old and nasty parsley, and I think maybe all the parsley went into the garbage at the same time. Normally I wouldn't care so much - just leave it our, or use dried parsley from the spice rack - but it's also a required ingredient in the biscuits. So it was a 9 pm trip to the store to grab some more parsley. Dish #3 done, one more to go!

Editors Note: After all that, I forgot to put the parsley in the biscuits. There's now a small bowl of slightly withered parsley sitting on the counter. However, the biscuits are still quite tasty without.

So this morning I dig into the biscuits. Forgot to turn the dishwasher on last night, so am down a couple of measuring cups and am too lazy to wash them by hand. Decide, instead, to use the 1/2 cup that is still available and make it work for everything. At times like this I prefer to premeasure everything out into little bowls, so it's all ready to go when I need it. Things are proceeding forward beautfully. Except where's the baking powder? I always have baking powder at home. It's one of those things you almost never use but you've always got to have. And I can't even use the excuse it's still in a box, because all the food-type-products were moved in a special trip well before anything else and have been unpacked forever. Thankfully, I have the sweetest Sweetie in the universe and was able to get him to make the expedition to the store.

So excuse me, Dish #4 now calls my name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home