Friday, April 22, 2005

Bee Sting Trumps Drought

The Pacific Northwest will be suffering from a drought this summer. I plan on being a responsible citizen, doing what I can to alleviate the water shortage that is on its way. One small step I thought I could easily take was to refrain from the washing of the car.

But today there was a bee that was flitting around my car as I left for lunch. And then it followed me. There was a pollen so alluring clinging to my car that a bee stalked me. So I went and got a car wash this evening. Sorry, folks, but the prospect of a bee sting is less desirable to me than the ultimate impacts this car wash will have on the drought. And I did go to a place that would be at least vaguely environmentally friendly.

I've always had a reaction to bee stings. Not of the deadly variety, but I swell up really bad. And from what I understand that can develop into the deadly variety of sting, and I'd rather not chance it.

I also have a history of bee stings in the most unfortunate of places. My first bee sting was when I was in first grade. While at recess a bee stung me between my finger and fingernail and the stinger got stuck in there. For some reason, and I really have no clue what the motivation was, I didn't bother saying anything until I got home despite the fact that it hurt like hell. There was a lot of soaking of the finger in epsom salts after that.

Third grade was the bee sting to end all bee stings. Although the bee didn't sting me so much as I was rollerskating down a slight hill and happened to run into the ass of a bee with my neck. Ended up with a big sting in the middle of my neck. OUCH!

Although it could be worse. The childhood dog had a habit of swallowing bees live, and then they would sting her while they were flying around her stomach. And the dumb dog never wised up and continued to eat bees until the day she died.

So now I've got a clean car, and hopefully will remain bee sting free this summer.

2 Comments:

Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

When I was a youngster of about 4, I spotted a jet-black bug on the back lawn that caught my fancy. I decided to pet the bug. It stung me. Ouch. I remembered from the past that my mom had put meat tenderizer on stings (perhaps I remembered her doing so with a sibling). I grabbed the meat tenderizer and gave it to the babysitter. She didn't believe that it was used on bee stings, and actually made fun of me a little bit for my choice.

I haven't pet a bug since.

7:55 AM  
Blogger lemming said...

Sam stalks and catches flies. Good dog.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home