Saturday, April 16, 2005

A Sad Ending Indeed

Just caught the end of today's Angels vs A's game. Bottom of the 10th Oakland's got a guy on first with no outs, so they set up a sacrifice bunt to advance him. But the pitcher makes a bobbled throw to the first baseman, and by the time the ball is retrieved the sole run of the game (or, as I like to say, point) is running into home. Game over.

I don't think it really was an error by pitcher Scot Shields. I think Chone Figgins was distracted, because now he not only has to spend his time pondering how C-H-O-N-E spells "Shawn," but also is confused as to whether he is playing for Los Angeles or Anaheim. With all that on his mind you can't expect him to make the play at first.

2 Comments:

Blogger pankleb said...

We all know how hard it is to get a shutout in fantasy baseball (unless you have a Marlin on your staff right now). So why, oh why, did the A's yank Harden after the 8th? How was that guaranteed no decision supposed to help me? And, after lifting Harden, why didn't Oakland's brain trust decide to groove a few gopher balls to G. Anderson? Huh? What about helping me out with some offensive stats if I'm not getting a win or a shutout? I've paid good money for the Major League Baseball Extra Innings cable package this year. The least they could do is help out my fantasy team.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

You might be right that 'ol Chone was having trouble with his peculiar nomenclature issues, but I'm quite glad he didn't charge my team with an error - I'm already suffering from an abundance of errors. I'm doubly glad that my leage does not count errors on the pitching staff, since I also have Mr. Shileds on my roster.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home