Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Cat is Away

And the mice shall clean house.

Sweetie is gone for the week on his annual Spring Break Baseball trip. Before he left he was actively preparing to miss me, while I was silently looking forward to some time alone to clean house. When one partner vacations and the other stays home I think it's somewhat harder on the vacationer than the home bound. He's out experiencing all this stuff that he can't directly share with me. My biggest challenge is I'll have to wait a few days to catch the newest episode of The Amazing Race and Survivor (because I can't watch them without Sweetie by my side), and it's a bit harder falling to sleep at night because there's just so much BED there.

Goal #1 for this week is to turn into a gym rat. Because I don't have anyone to rush home to and cook dinner for, so why not just push it a little harder?

Goal #2 for this week is to get some major housecleaning done.

In my youth I could only bake or cook without any chance of a spectator. There was a pocket door that separated the kitchen from the rest of the house, and the door would be firmly closed when I felt a yearning to make some chocolate chip cookies.

Now I'll cook with anyone and everyone watching, but for some strange reason I prefer cleaning house without any voyeurs. I think I'm self-conscious about the way I clean house. When straightening things up I tend to take the not-so-efficient approach of picking up one stray item, going to put it away, then picking up a stray item in that vicinity, putting it away, picking up a stray item in that vicinity.... I was once told I clean house like I'm on LSD. By people who might know. This was also the day at the tender age of 17 that I vowed I would never, ever, ever, ever, no way would you change my mind, I don't care how crazy I got in college, not gonna' happen, ever try LSD. So it's just not acceptable to clean house that way. But that's my style and I'm sticking to it.

And hopefully when I pick Sweetie up at the airport next Saturday afternoon I'll get to bring him home to a nice, clean house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home