Thursday, March 31, 2005

Confounded Aliens

I'm not complaining, but I'm really not certain how these aliens motivations and energies work.

The last couple of weeks have been rather bleh in the workout world. Two weeks ago I just didn't quite make it to the gym as many times as I wanted. And last Thursday with the trainer kicked my ass. I put it together as a cause and effect type relationship.

This last week was the week that kicked my ass. I made it into the gym Saturday, but then between Easter and work just killing me I wasn't going. Yesterday I forced myself to go. I should have done a lower body/shoulder workout, but just went to the machines instead. My stamina was crap, but in terms of ability I was actually rocking it pretty hard. Amazing.

So tonight was to be my time to pay the piper. Not only did I have a meeting with the trainer, but it was an upper arm week which usually means supreme torture. (I have the wussiest upper body on the planet).

Here are how my workouts with the trainer usually play out: He suggests I use a 5 pound weight and I insist I can only do a 3. He requests I do 12 reps, but at 10 I can't do any more. I'm pouring buckets of sweat by the end of the night.

So we start with exercise #1. I've done this one before with a 5 pound weight. He suggests we go for 8. I agree and it's not a problem. I'm feeling it, but it's not killing me.

When we make it around to the first ab exercise we do the bridge, which is always the first ab exercise. Support yourself on your upper arms and your tip toes. Hold your body perfectly straight. As long as you can. The first time we ever did it I could do it about 5 seconds. I've been making progress, and last week I was doing it about 13 seconds at best. Today set #1 I was nailing it. The trainer told me to relax at one point, and I thought he meant my shoulders were too tense, so I tried to loosen them up. He meant I could stop doing it. I'd done it for 20 seconds at that point. I did it 23, 28 and 26 seconds this time.

PROGRESS IS BEING MADE!!!

In the past the ab exercises were do as many reps as you can in a set until you're going to die. Tonight I was able to do 3 sets of 12 for virtually every exercise.

On one exercise this evening the trainer started me out at 15 pounds on the machine. For the second rep I had him up it to 20. For the third set we pushed it to 25. When the trainer, who usually is yelling at you to push through the pain and complete the reps, is looking at you like you're insane for wanting to do that much weight. That's progress.

Which, on the one hand is astounding because I'm really making it to the next level. The other hand is, if this is how well I'm doing after being a lazy ass for a week then where's my impetus to do it daily.

But I think tonight was good. I'm inspired now. I'll get all my workouts in this week, I can feel it. And the following week Sweetie will be out of town, so I intend to become a downright gym rat. He won't recognize me when he gets home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home