Sunday, April 03, 2005

On Baseall and Relationships

Once upon a time I was born in St. Louis, MO. My mother was also born in St. Louis, MO. We lived in St. Louis until I was four. As such, I was born a St. Louis Cardinals fan of both the baseball and football varieties.

When the St. Louis Cardinals football team moved and became the Arizona Cardinals my mother proclaimed a hex against the team. When St. Louis gained a new football team and dared call them the St. Louis Rams an even larger hex was proclaimed against them.

To say I was born and bred a St. Louis Cardinals fan is an understatement.

And then there's my Dad. He was born in Northern Wisconsin. So I can accept the fact that once upon a time he was a Milwaukee Braves fan. I can understand his obsession with the Green Bay Packers and am astounded he doesn't wear a giant wedge of cheese on his head. But it is beyond my comprehension why he is an Atlanta Braves fan.

I've expressed my disgust with the Atlanta Braves before. Ted Turner is such evil incarnate that I cannot even stomach having a Brave on my fantasy baseball team. It runs that deep.

So Sweetie knew he was treading on dangerous ground when he predicted Atlanta would win this year's World Series. When he told me of his prediction my initial response was that he was trying to get in good with my dad. But then he read me all of his predictions, and he does not realize the situation he is putting himself in by putting St. Louis vs. Atlanta in the NL Championship and then having the evil Braves win.

In 1996 St. Louis faced Atlanta in the NL Championship (I believe, it may have been a divisional game, I don't reacall that clearly). I was with my Mom and Dad in St. Louis at the time, following the series with the relatives we were visiting. Mom and I knew we couldn't get Dad to change his rooting interests, but we encouraged him to at least be quiet about it. He wasn't. He was loud and obnoxious and when Atlanta swept the Cardinals he was insufferable. If looks could kill and murder were legal Mom and I would have been burying Dad on that trip.

Oh yeah, and Mom and Dad just switched from Dish Network to DirectTV yesterday. Which may seem like it has nothing to do with this post, but with DirectTV they now have Turner South as a programming option which means my dad can watch every single Atlanta Braves game there is this year.

Sweetie promises he won't be rooting for Atlanta come World Series time. But he doesn't understand the irrationality that can overtake my family when the Braves and the Cardinals face each other in the playoffs. So stay tuned, because if his predictions come true then October might just see an outstading battle of the sexes in our family. And I sincerely hope he ends up on the losing side of that battle.

That'll learn him to say anything nice about the Braves.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

here were multiple AL playoff games when Herself and I had to be in different rooms, so passionate were we about her Indians and my Orioles.

I, myself, was raised to judge no man or woman by their creed, race, or ethicity. Except Yankees fans. The exile of the Dodgers to L.A. is still a day of mourning in my father's house.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Personally, I just despise Atlanta pro teams in general. I remember watching my 49ers and Giants being knocked out of the playoffs too many times by those southern bastards!

1:28 PM  
Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

Grigor--

I can't recall an occasion where the Falcons have defeated the 49ers in any important game. Am I forgetting something?

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home