Monday, March 28, 2005

Pledge Drive

It's Spring pledge drive week on KUOW, the local NPR affiliate. I really need to make a pledge, as it's been too long since I've paid my dues to the radio station I listen to most in my car, and my primary news source.

But how much to pledge?

As part of the wacky banter to encourage listeners to pledge the hosts this afternoon were offering up ways you might figure out what an appropriate pledge is for you. One of the suggestions they offered was to think of how many times you've mentioned a story you've heard on NPR at a cocktail party, or in a lull in the conversation, or a similar scenario. My memory isn't that good, but I do know that several blog posts over the last year have been inspired by things heard on NPR.

So here's how we're playing the game: Between now and Thursday evening I urge everyone who reads this blog to make a comment on a post inspired by NPR (listed below) or make a comment to this post. I will determine my pledge based on the quality and quantity of comments posted. And if you can't think of something to say on one of the posts below, you can simply make a plea for which thank you gift I should request with my pledge.

Blog posts inspired by NPR:

Whatever Happened to Punk?
Guess Who
An Observation
2004
It's the Economy, Stupid
I Hate Eyman
Will the Correct Pronunciation Please Step Forward?

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Amount-wise, I recommend in the $10-$20/month range. I figure that's less than half what cable costs and we get a hell of a lot more out of NPR than we would get from cable.

Regarding the "thank you" premium, we've only once actually accepted one - tickets to "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" when it was in Portland at the Schnitz. Al surprised me for my birthday. :-) For the most part, we figure we don't really need more stuff, so why not save them the cost of procuring and/or sending the premium?

1:06 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Arrgh. Blogger seems to be a bit screwed up today. Let's see if it actually posts this time.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home