Friday, March 25, 2005

Guess Who

There is a movie coming out this weekend called "Guess Who." Ashton Kutcher is a white guy meeting his black girlfriend's family, her dad is played by Bernie Mac.

Sweetie and I saw a preview of the movie recently. With the outrageous and intimidating father and all the wacky hijinks that ensue my immediate response was, "Oh, it's a remake of 'Meet the Parents" and five other movies that have come out on the same darn topic in recent years.

But tonight I'm listening to NPR and apparently this is a remake of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner." Sweetie realized the connection when we saw the preview, based on the title. I totally didn't get it until NPR told me directly to my face.

I think it's because there must be a rule out there that you're not allowed to think about Sidney Poitier and wacky hijinks in the same thought. And when I think wacky hijinks and Spencer Tracy I totally think "Father of the Bride" (who, although not as wacky as Steve Martin was in the remake still had the wackiness factor going, and I still love this movie to pieces).

So there you have it. I'm still probably never going to see "Guess Who." And since I've seen BOTH "Meet the Parents" AND "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" I don't think it's going to be a big loss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home