Monday, May 02, 2005

Cheap Seats

Tonight Sweetie and I got Terrace Club Seats to the Mariners Game. The most expensive seats available on a single game basis. We were four seats away from the press box on the left field side.

These are NICE seats. They're a little wider and cushier than your standard seat in the rest of the stadium. If you're willing to pay a lot of money for food (even by ballpark standards) they offer in-seat service. From our vantage point the umps could turn to me if they had problems gauging whether a ball was fair or foul along the right field line.

After Ichiro CLIMBED the right field wall to nab a would-be home run (go try to find yourself some video footage of this play, as I cannot adequatey describe it, but it was probably the most kick-ass fielding I've ever seen) there were TV's mounted in the seats, so we could see the close-up footage as well.

However, nice as these seats are, given the choice I'd still take third level directly behind home plate. OK, given the choice I'd take the press box, but since that's not an option for me I'd take the third level behind home plate.

From my year working the press box in the minor league games I like being able to see, vaguely accurately, if it's a strike or a ball thrown. As well as I could see right field fouls from my vantage point tonight, left field fouls were impossible to call from our angle. And I don't want to be on the field, because then you may be able to see whether or not the home plate ump is in need of a dandruff shampoo, but you can't see those great fielding plays that can be oh-so-exciting.

And, nice as the in-seat food and beverage service is, when I want an elephant ear I want it NOW. At least standing in line you can feel progress being made towards the goal. When waiting for your server to notice you it's just WAITING. Plus, the quality of the food wasn't the greatest and they didn't even have garlic fries on the menu!

Maybe this is part of why I'll never be rich and famous. I'm too happy just sitting in the cheap seats.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Since I know you and Sweetie are TiVo addicts... did you find yourself looking for the remote so you could run back the Ichiro play and watch it again? Or any other play you might have missed?

Please tell me I'm not the only person who wants TiVo for the real world...

6:44 AM  
Blogger Swankette said...

No, but only because we knew for a fact that it would be on Sportscenter when we got home (at which point Sweetie most definitely played it over and over and over again.

I'm OK with live sporting events, actually, but watching a televised sporting event on a non-Tivo enhanced TV is torture.

9:09 AM  
Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

I have found myself reaching for my car radio to rewind when I've missed a key point on NPR or a wacky joke on my rock station. That's a literal reach, by the way.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home