Monday, October 24, 2005

Cleanliness is Next to Godliness

Some lessons you learn the hard way.

I'm obsessive when it comes to raw meat and cleanliness in the kitchen. The knives, hands and cutting boards get obsessively washed. I won't even LOOK at the wood cutting board if there is raw meat out and the plastic cutting boards go straight into the dishwasher as soon as the raw meat has left it. I try to get the chopping of veggies and stuff done previously, but if I've forgotten I'll use a new cutting board and knife rather than re-using the contaminated surface.

So it's not an issue of I don't know how to keep things clean.

But I don't cook with peppers often. And when I do they're usually of the bell variety.

So last night I was making quesadillas, and the recipie I was using called for a fresh jalapeno for the marinade for the meat. And since I didn't touch the meat after I had touched the jalapenos, and since I'd be back in the kitchen later after the marinating was done I wasn't so careful about washing my hands once it was all done.

And then I inadvertently rubbed my eyes. Both of them. Simultaneously.

OUCH!

I'm going to wash my hands now, just thinking about it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Latex gloves. I even use them when cutting mild peppers like anaheim or poblano. Saves a lot of pain.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I've handled exactly one habanero in my life. You would've thought the thing was made of nitroglycerine from the tender way I carried it.

(By the way: one habanero, seeded, deveined and minced fine, mixed into one whole can of crushed pinapple, makes a great topping for vanilla ice cream. Especially if you've got some cinnamon sugar pita chips or graham crackers around...)

3:54 PM  
Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

Joe's recipe intrigues me.

I bit into a habanero once. I was 13. It took forever to fix me. I spent what felt like 45 minutes trying to get the taste out. I finally did it with cottage cheese.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Army of Mom said...

Army of Dad did that once while cooking and he has NEVER done it again. You typically learn your lesson the first time.

If you'd like some spicy Tex-Mex meal suggestions, let me know. I have some quick and easy ones.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

AoM - I'm always looking for new recipies! Although it is the current belief of the SwankPoet household that TRP is allergic to tomatoes, which severely limits the options.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home