Saturday, August 21, 2004

This is my Jerry Springer moment

If there was one thing I was looking forward to more than anything else on the trip to England it was the opportunity to see Jerry Springer the Opera. From the time it came out I had heard excellent reviews about the show, and friends had seen the show and raved about it.

As the sweetie says, it's the perfect combination of high-brow and low-brow. You've got some great opera music (everything but the part of Jerry himself is sung), with Jerry Springer lyrics. Go to the website and listen to "Overtly-ture" for the perfect taste of what I'm talking about.

The show is coming to the states next year, and you really need to check it out. Hopefully it will tour to a town near you. Of course, I'm assuming that if you're reading this blog you're a friend of mine who is not in the least bit easily offended. The performance really does cross a LOT of lines of good taste, but it does it so well it really is enjoyable. I don't want to go into too much detail, because it's much better if you experience it for yourself, but let's just say I was laughing so hard I was crying at the end of Act 1.

David Soul (aka Hutch of Starsky and Hutch fame) played the role of Jerry. Yeah, I wouldn't have believed it either, but he did a fantastic job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home