Friday, November 26, 2004

I AmThankful for Running Water

Wednesday night sweetie and I went to see Cake. A few notes:

1. Note to self: Trail-end of the head cold from hell + 2nd balcony seats + mild contact high = a slight case of vertigo which is really not fun at all.

2. Note to fans: I don't understand the random cheering in an attempt to get the band to take the stage faster. And if it were to somehow work, do you really want the band to take a stage when the drum kit is the only instrument present? I kind of like the guitars, the base and they keyboards. WOO HOO! THE ROADIE IS WALKING ACROSS THE STAGE! Even worse, I could sense folks getting restless when it took a little longer to get set up because they were having difficulties with some of the sound equipment. I am here to hear the band. I want them to sound good.

3. Note to John McCrea: You're not going to take over the spot as pretend boyfriend on my list, but if you were to call me and ask me to run away with you I might have to take a moment to think about it. Especially if you called to invite me to the local truck stop, because I picture you most at home in one of those booths eating a big piece of chicken fried steak and with a cup of hot coffee. Black. Because cream and sugar is for pussies. I'm not quite sure what it is about you, because normally Vince di Fiore would be much more my type in the band. Part of it is they way you stand there when someone else in the band is rocking out and just simply hold your arm out in their direction, with an expression on your face that says, "This other guy is totally rocking out right now. Why the fuck are you looking at me?" Part of it is the way you conduct the audience as if they are the 6th member of the band. But I think a large part of it is the vibraslap. It's got a sexual sounding name. You take a percussion instrument that was just throwin in with all the other cool percussion instruments in Mr. Leobold's grade school music class and you vault it to revered status. It not only gets its own bench to sit on during the show, but it gets a pillow to rest upon. And the pillow is edged in flourescent tape, as if to say ,"Hey, everyone, check out this really cool instrument." Also, when you are about to play the vibraslap (do you ever refer to that as slapping the vibra?) you build up the anticipation. Hey, everyone, look what I'm about to do. I've got this really cool percussion instrument and I'm not afraid to use it. So yeah, you're a pretty kick-ass rock star.

Finally, an observation. I could not see a single set-list from my perch in the 2nd balcony. Which means either they've all memorized their set, or they call songs as they go. My other favorite band does the same thing. So, apparently, if you want to be one of Swankette's favorite bands you should eschew the set list and call your songs instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home