Sunday, November 21, 2004

Successful Floor Sleeping

Prior to yesterday I can recall two situations in which I have slept on the floor, without any sort of padding etc. below me:

1. College. When perhaps I'd had a few (dozen) cocktails, and perhaps all the couches were already taken, and that patch of carpet just looked oh so tantalizing because I am ever so sleepy now.

2. 2001. While working for the minor leauge baseball team. Pre-season, when my boss and I were probably averaging 18 hour days to get stuff together enough so that a baseball game could be played on opening night. I had an apartment with a lumpy, frame-less futon less than a 5 minute walk from my office. However, there were a couple of times when that wouldn't work because I only had about 2-3 hours available for sleep, and if I succumbed to the futon I would be out cold for 2 days. So I'd take a sweatshirt and ball it up under my head, and sleep under my desk. My boss did the same thing. We'd take afternoon catnaps the same way sometimes. We shared an office, and I'm sure a fly on the wall would have been quite amused at 4 am the morning of the home opener when there were papers strewn everywhere, all the lights were on, and there were just 2 sets of legs sticking out from under the desks.

One thing I do know for a fact is that everytime in the past I've ended up sleeping on the floor I have ended up with aches and pains in places I didn't know could ache and pain. It really is not kind on the joints. So I now avoid it at all costs.

Yesterday, while simultaneously packing and fighting the head cold from hell, it was unavoidable. I was running a slight fever, and my body decided it needed to sleep it off. I contemplated driving back to the Sweetie's where I would have my choice of sleeping locations (loveseat, La-Z-Boy or bed), but that was not an option. My body informed me we would be sleeping before I left the parking lot, so I needed to stay put. Unfortunately, my bed and sofa were both covered in crap, so were not appropriate places to sleep.

My options were:
1. Call the Sweetie and have him come pick me up (which I'm sure he would have done)
2. Clear the stuff off either the couch or the bed.
3. Take a nap on the floor.

My body decided that #3 was the preferable option, but did grant me time to go grab a couple of pillows from the bedroom before I drifted off.

I'm not sure if it was because I had two pillows under my head, or if it was because my body is so stuffed up right now that all the gunk inside of me served as an ad hoc mattress, but when i woke up 2 hours later I was not aching or stiff at all. The head cold still ruled my world, but I didn't have to add achy onto the top of that.

And for that I am thankful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home