Monday, January 03, 2005

Happy, Happy New Year!

This morning my inbox was graced by an e-mail from an old friend that I hadn't heard from in at LEAST 5 years. It was a simple, "Hi, I hope it's you. If it is, here's a very brief update of the last 5 years of my life, and if it's not you I apologize for taking your time." but it was still a very pleasant surprise and a nice way to start a Monday morning.

I met this friend around 1993 or 1994. And when I say "met" I really mean "came to know of his existence" because we've never actually met face-to-face. We were both members of an international collegiate service organization. We were both on a national e-mail list and there was an experience he had and e-mailed the list about that touched me, so I e-mailed him, and we had some common bonds as we were making the transitions from school to real life. A friend 3,000 miles away that you've never met before offers a certain level of perspective you can't get from other folks.

Now it makes me want to go out and search down other long lost friends I've lost touch with to find out what's happened with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home