Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year?

Years ago, when sweetie and I attended our first sporting event together at which a proposal happened, I turned to him and said, "Look, I'm not saying that marriage is in the future. But, if the day ever comes that you do want to propose to me, do NOT propose to me at a sporting event on the diamond vision. Because if you do I will not say yes. In fact, I will get up and leave the stadium and never speak to you again."

There is something about the blatantly public proposal that's just WRONG. You're basically bullying the other person into saying, "YES!" Because if you said, "NO" you'd not only crush the proposer, but you'd probably face the wrath of the 50,000 spectators who are expecting you to say yes.

Sweetie got the hint. Unfortunately, not everyone is as proactive as I am in expressing their wishes.

Last night on the local New Year's Eve broadcast there was the obligatory proposal broadcast to all mere minutes before midnight. The girl said yes, but the eyes said, "Um, what the hell are you thinking, buddy? We're going to be having a LOOONG talk to kick off 2005. And come next New Year's Eve you'll be ancient history."

Happy to say my sweetie won't be ancient history next New Year's Eve. He'll be my hubby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home