Monday, December 27, 2004

Grrr...

People like this just really put me into a bad mood.

Thanks to Jack Bog for the link. As upset as it makes me, I'm glad I got the opportunity to get up on my soapbox where someone MIGHT hear a LITTLE something of what I have to say.

It's not difficult, people:
  1. Don't abuse your spouse
  2. Show compassion for the less-fortunate, be they less-fortunate financially, physically or mentally
  3. Remember, everyone is someone's son or daughter, and a lot of people are someone's brother or sister. And all the bad seeds aren't from one bad family, so show compassion for us good seeds who got stuck with a less-than-perfect branch on the family tree. You've got crooked branches, too, so we should all show them with pride rather than trying to prune them off.

1 Comments:

Blogger pankleb said...

Hey Swankette, nice comment on Schmuck’s site.

His view is basically, “There’s a process, the judge evaluated him and said he wasn’t a threat, there was some available treatment, nothing’s wrong.” Having worked in the criminal justice system for three years, let me tell you a very basic fact: the system does not work. Yes, judges make evaluations as to whether defendants are capable of aiding in their own defense. Yes, if someone is unable to “Aid and Assist,” a referral is made to the State Hospital. Yes, there is a process for civilly committing someone with mental problems. All true. But it is also true that the system is underfunded. It is also true that judges do not make their decisions solely with the “danger to self or others” criteria in mind. No, judges also have to think about the 800-pound gorilla of scarce resources when they make their decisions. It’s really an analysis along the lines of, “Given the budget issues, is this person such a danger to him/herself or others that he/she should be put into treatment ahead of the vast majority of other individuals with difficult mental problems?” That's why so many people roam the streets with untreated mental problems. The process is quite different from what people assume it to be. I have seen those hearings right in front of me, I have talked to attorneys about the process, I have talked to (unnamed) judges about it, I know what I'm talking about.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home