Saturday, January 01, 2005

The Year of ALL

Once upon a time (1998) my friend Kaphine and I were both living the single live in Portland. We were both living with parental units at the time, but were on our way to creating the initial House of Swank (which is a story unto itself, perhaps it will be told another day). I had met a boy over the internet, and she had met a girl through her ties to the union.

One night we had to go on an intelligence gathering mission. The boy I had met worked at a restaurant with an open kitchen, and we were off to dinner there to scope him out and see if he was worth meeting. After dinner we went to the Ben and Jerry's Scoop Shop on Hawthorne, then wandered the street over-analyzing our lives (a pre-requisite for a close friend in the world of Swank).

We'd handled my neurotica for the night -- the boy was worth meeting, although that never panned out -- so now it was onto her neurotica. She wanted to will the girl she'd met to call her. I could tell she was smitten with the girl, so was insistent that she be the caller if necessary. I threatened to kick her ass if she didn't initiate a call. Repeatedly, I threatened it. I threatned to push her into the traffic if she didn't stop whining and really, just call the girl already. I'm not sure who the caller and the callee was, but they've been together ever since and are planning their wedding for next August.

I BELIEVE it was this same night (at minimum, a similar night of neurotica and beer) when one of us declared that we should have it ALL. We should both find partners that we love deeply and can spend the rest of our lives with, and both live fabulously swank lives. ALL became one of our secret code words. It's amazing that we have other friends when I start to think about it, because we've had a lot of secret code words over the year that will send both of us into fits of giggles. Don't even offer us a slice of pumpernickel bread, and don't say I didn't warn you.

Well, it appears that 2005 is, indeed, the year of ALL. Kaphine gets credit for this observation, but with both of us getting hitched to our loved ones, it really is going to be a stupendous year. And so, with that in mind, I wish ALL my readers ALL their hearts desires, and lets ALL pull together to make the world a better place.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home