Thursday, January 27, 2005

It's a Miracle I Can Even Write This

Really, it's a miracle that I was able to lift the computer onto my lap. How I've managed to pick up a pen every day defies the odds.

Last night I met the new trainer for my initial assessment. It felt very much like the presidential fitness torture - er, test - I was subjected to through Junior High and High School. One of the tasks of the assessment was push-ups. I got to choose whether to do full push-ups or girl push-ups. I know I have wussy upper arms, so I chose the girl push-ups. I was to do as many push-ups as I could. I lived up to my expectations, in that I expected to do really crappy. Grand total: 11 push-ups.

So one of the things the trainer and I will be working on starting next week is the upper body strength.

But here's the part that astounds me: today I felt the tightness across the shoulders that you'll feel the day after you've had a really intense, good workout. Eleven girl push-ups equals a really intense, good workout for me right now. PITIFUL!

Of course, being the eternal optimist that I am I shall now put a positive spin on this: One of the reasons that this is so astounding to me is that I've got no problems lifting boxes and moving big, heavy furniture around when I want to rearrange the room.

The moral of the story: Remember boys and girls, lift with your legs.

2 Comments:

Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

11 Push ups really is quite rubbish.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Well, if pitiful motivates you, go with it.

However, it wasn't that long ago (i.e. months) that I could only do about 10 pushups, and I'm a Big Tall Man so there's a whole macho thing around it. I'm going to say that anyone who does enough pushups to feel that good workout ache deserves congratulations.

I bet you'll be surprised how fast it becomes 12, 13, 14...

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home