Sunday, January 23, 2005

My Next Career

A couple of weeks ago I came to a realization. If I could have ANY job in the world it would be "lifestyle guru." Martha Stewart, but swank. So cross Martha with Alton Brown, Brini Maxwell, Nigella Lawson, Katie Brown and Ready Made magazine. But how does one become a lifestyle guru? It's not just a job you find in the classifieds. But the idea has been simmering away in the back of my brain for a little while now.

Today Alton Brown was doing a reading/signing at the local independent bookseller's. I, of course, attended. He talked a little bit, then opened it up to questions from the audience. Question #1 involved baking without eggs (Can you do it, and if so, how?). Answer: It depends, becaues the role of the egg changes depending on the dish. For the record, this would have been my question as well. Question #2 involved what can you use in lieu of almond paste. Answer: It depends on the role of the almond paste. Alton then made a nice analogy: ingredients are like a members of a theater troupe - the role of each ingredient changes depending on the production. Before question #3 was asked Alton asked if it involved food allergies... had the asker said "yes" I think they would have been passed.

While waiting in line I was pondering this question, and when I made it to the front of the line I asked Alton if he could recommend a good reference book to help one accomodate food allergies. He said no, but there should be. I then suggested he write one, and his response was that he was not able to do so, but he wanted to find someone who could and once he discovered such a person he would post the information on his website.

As I was walking back to my car I had a little epiphany - why couldn't that person be me? Now don't go looking at your local bookstore anytime soon, but as a long-term goal type thing. First thing I'd need to do is figure out what I'd need to do/learn to be qualified to write to such a topic. Then there would be some education involved in the science of food, cooking techniques, etc., but I'm sure it's within my abilities. So I'm thinking of exploring this idea. If nothing else, it will make cooking for sweetie and his family a lot easier, but who knows what may become of it.

I've already got a bit of a vision of what I'd like the end-product to look like, but let's see where the journey takes us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home