Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Amazing Race 6: Episode 12

I officially declare that reality show proposals must all stop IMMEDIATELY! I cannot think of a SINGLE positive reality show proposal that has EVER happened. And yet they continue on. STOP THE INSANITY!

Although given the choice between Hayden and Aaron getting engaged and getting $1,000,000 I'll take the former. But really, folks, ENOUGH!

Style points to Adam and Rebecca at the final elimination. They let Hayden and Aaron take the mat first, knowing that a penalty would be assessed and they would be eliminated. But at least Hayden and Aaron didn't have to come in last place on that leg.

Style points are subtracted from Freddy and Kendra. They've spent so much time in third world countries where Caucasians with camera crews cause everyone in the town to flock and be friendly, I think they may have suffered from some culture shock when they arrived back in the states. First, while paddling down a river in Hawaii, Kendra was waving at all the old guys on the golf course. Any other city they were in if they would pass the smallest crowd and everyone would be gawking. I think the geezers were standing on the golf course thinking, "Why the hell is that person waving at me?" Worse yet, when having difficulties with the final cab ride Freddy approached a Chicago Police Patrol Car and requested assistance in finding the finish line. Again, it may work in third world countries where the must roll out the red carpet and then some, but I think the Chicago PD have more important things to attend to.

And so it is over and the models win it all. I would have preferred for Kris and Jon to win the race, but there are worse things than Freddy and Kendra winning it. Here's the thing that I find most annoying about their win. Kendra is in TEARS over having to eat two slices of deep dish pizza and doesn't know if she can get it down. Which wouldn't be so horrible except early on in the season her teammate ended up eating his own vomit while in Hungary without too many complaints. I'd take the deep dish any day of the week.

But here is what I'll remember most about the final episode: The finish line was at Ping Tom park in Chicago. Freddy and Kendra's cabby had no clue where this park was. I don't know Chicago, but I do know that when the Amazing Race had the finish line in Seattle a few seasons ago one of the final clue boxes was at Kerry Park. Not every cabby in Seattle will know where Kerry Park is, either. It's known, but it's not Central Park in New York City known. I was discussing this with Sweetie as we were holding out hope that Kris and Jon might win, they appeared to get a cabby who knew where the park was and we estimated they were 15-20 minutes behind Freddy and Kendra. This could be it. And I'm sitting on the couch going on and on about Kerry Park when Sweetie turns to me and says he doesn't know where Kerry Park is. Except we've been to that park about a million times. We always take out of town guests to the park. The night we got engaged we went to the park. We may get some wedding photos taken at the park. It is not acceptable to not know where Kerry Park is. Once he realized the mistake he was quite embarrassed, and to his credit he had a long day today and it's past his bedtime (with the two hour episode tonight). And in the end given that he didn't propose to me on a reality TV show I'm OK with him not remembering where Kerry Park is. And it just makes me a little less guilty about not wanting him as my partner if I ever go on the Amazing Race. (He would never survive given dietary issues)

The next season of The Amazing Race starts in three weeks (so you'll get only a brief reprieve from my posts). Rob and Amber from Survivor All Star fame are participating. I hated Rob throughout the All Star competition, and he's another one of those assholes who insisted on proposing on reality TV, so I'm rooting for them to be violently eliminated in the first episode. Predictions as soon as CBS has the website updated. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger lemming said...

Don't have time to watch the show, but thoroughly enjoy your updates - don't stop! :-)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Shannin said...

I hate Rob, too. I'm afraid to watch, because if they win on this show, I'll believe it's fixed.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home