Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy VD Day!

Prior to Sweetie v2.0 I've never had a boyfriend on February 14. I had a pretty good string of meeting guys the end of February, and some fizzle-outs in late January, but for the first 29 years of my life my biggest Valentine was my mother, who could always be counted on for her traditional holiday Pez dispenser.

Valentine's Day was spent in black, sneering at people who were too saccharine for their own good, and reveling in my single-ness and not being forced to participate in another Hallmark Holiday.

Valentine's Day 2002 Sweetie and I had officially been together about a month and a half, we were living 250 miles apart, and Sweetie would be at my home the following Saturday to spend an entire week at my home. A co-worker who was fresh out of college seemed to think that Sweetie should show up on my doorstep Valentine's evening with a dozen roses in one hand and a box of chocolates in the other. I tried to explain to the co-worker that not only would that not happen but I would actually be UPSET if it did and he just didn't get it. As a girl I'm supposed to want roses and diamonds and chocolates and a nice dinner and a teddy bear and enough gifts to spawn the GNP of a developing nation.

Sweetie did send me chocolates. About 5 pounds of chocolates. I wasn't quite sure what the message was supposed to be there... I love you a lot, but I'd love you even more if you weighed 500 pounds? Turns out there were a couple of methods to his madness: He knew he'd be in town and we'd share, and he had to maximize quantity of the greatest chocolate ever invented which is the Trinidad. It's like a chocolate truffle with a dark chocolate inside and a white chocolate/nutty coating. The assorted mixed chocolate package quickly got dispensed to work after the Trinidads were removed.

This year we're going to see a stage performance of Singin' in the Rain on Saturday. (Our favorite movie ever) When I saw the performance was coming to town I had mentioned it as a Valentine's outing, since the dates lined up well, and I thought we'd planned on that to be the Valentine's Day outing of the year. Then, come Christmas, Santa Claus must not have kept very good records because we BOTH received copies of the Singin' in the Rain DVD under the tree this year. His was a gift from my parents (at my prompting), and mine was a gift from him. Since he'd already received his copy of the DVD, he included a note on mine saying he'd get us tickets to the play for Christmas. But I thought we'd still do our celebrating that night.

So I get up this morning and I'm running REALLY late to work. And when I get out to my car there was a package sitting on the front seat. I had heard Sweetie leave then come back in the house this morning. I figured he'd forgotten something, but turns out he'd stolen my car keys to put the gift out there. It's a totally fantabulous looking book called, "What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained." And I hadn't even gotten the boy a silly card!

I'll make it up to him... somehow. For starters, publicly apologizing here and now for being such a lame ass I couldn't even manage a card.

2 Comments:

Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

No apology necessary, babe! VD day is traditionally about the man giving to the woman!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Now, you see, if you'd been living in Oregon it would not be VD but rather a much more important holiday: Oregon Statehood Day! The anniversary of Oregon's induction into the Union - Feb. 14th 1859.

What's that? You don't celebrate Statehood Day? Scandalous! It is a moral imperative to go out every Feb. 14th, get a lovely chunk of wild Oregon salmon, a nice Willamette Valley pinot and/or Oregonian microbrew, and a dessert loaded with filberts. Screw this pink hearts and assorted maudlin Valentine crap ... there are more important things to celebrate!

You shoulda seen Al trying to get our Ohioan-born waitress to sing "Oregon, My Oregon".

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home