Monday, March 21, 2005

Moral Dilemma

I am facing a moral dilemma of outstanding proportions right now because my Fantasy baseball draft is in less than two weeks, and my "keeper list" is due in less than one week, and it's just tearing me up inside.

The House of Swank (the baseball team, not the brewery, I've got a whole empire here) has always had a strict anti-Braves policy. I HATE the Atlanta Braves. I HATE Ted Turner. And it would be very difficult for me to activate a player when I HATE so much of what he is about.

It's not been a problem the past three seasons - I just haven't picked any Braves for my team. Maybe I got a slightly worse player as a result of that decision, but life goes on.

In the fantasy league I play in we are allowed 7 "keepers" - where we get to keep players from the previous season and carry them over to this year. Three pitchers, three hitters, and one free choice. Ideally you keep a mix, some starters and relievers. Some infielders and outfielders. There are some no-brainers: Curt Schilling stays. Juan Pierre stays. Desi Relaford, as much as I love him, goes and I pick him back up in the draft (but maybe not this year. And Sweetie just had a heart attack reading that comment because I LOVE Desi Relaford!).

So what do you do when your star reliever gets traded to the Braves in the off-season? I had crappy relievers last season. I think everyone I had at the beginning of the season got switched to short middle relief because they sucked so bad. I did better the second half of the season, but that was primarily by picking up starters who qualified as relievers in my league.

It's all Byung-Hyun Kim's fault. He was my star reliever my first season in the league. But then someone, somewhere decided he should be a starting pitcher. I unloaded him before the season started, but haven't had that kind of relief since then.

If anyone out there has major league baseball ties, I'd appreciate it if you could arrange to have Mr. Kolb traded out of Atlanta in the next week. Otherwise, I'm looking for trades in my fantasy league. If neither of those things happen it's going to be a tough decision to make.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home