Thursday, April 14, 2005

Swankette the Prompt

I filed my taxes early this year.

By which I mean I just returned from the post office, where I was dropping my return in the mail.

The past 10 years I have been very good at filing my returns at the very last second. Some highlights:

1996: I move from Portland to Seattle on Saturday, April 14. First day on the new job is Monday, April 16. Same day I get around to completing my tax returns. Thankfully, I had packed the information I needed where it would be easily accessible.

1998: I'm newly back in Portland from Seattle. Around 4 pm on April 15 I'm frantically running around Portland looking for a form 1040.

2000: I start my new temp job with the baseball team on Monday, April 15. I was hoping to impress to turn it into a full-time gig, but when they asked me to stay late on day #1 I had to say I couldn't, because I had to go home and do my taxes.

2002: I think this is the year I planned on doing my taxes early (like around the 13th), but then realized I had never received, or lost, one of my W-2's, so had to go hunt it down before I could file my returns.

This year, ironically, I've been spending a lot of time the last few months THINKING about doing my taxes. But thinking about next year. Next year will be the first time I will actually itemize my deductions (thanks to the Sweetie and the condo), and as I've made charitable contributions, or thought about charitable contributions, I keep thinking I need to document all of this somehow so that we can claim all relevant deductions right now.

In the meantime, I need to figure out how I'm gonna' spend my refund.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home