Sunday, June 12, 2005

Generation Gap

I've been in Portland the last couple of days. I had to come down for the wedding dress fitting, so decided to take a couple of days vacation while the Sweetie is out of town and just chill in preparation for the sprint to the big day.

Tonight the brother came out for dinner, and a lovely time was had by all. That's the crazy brother, who spent a good chunk of my junior high and high school years in and out of drug rehab. Pay attention here: my parents had a son who went through drug rehab. Several times. Of the inpatient and outpatient variety. There was family therapy and al-anon and all other sorts of activities associated with that.

Yet, despite that experience, my parents were shocked - SHOCKED I TELL YOU - to discover that my stoner friend is a stoner. This is the boy with an IQ of about a billion. The boy who was going to go to Duke and Vanderbilt and Cornell and study biomedical engineering. Who has spent the last 10-ish years of his life living in a cheap-ass apartment about 3 credits away from about 10 different college degrees. I actually had to EXPLAIN to my parents that the reason he hadn't cured cancer, AIDS, and the common cold (which I'm totally convinved he has the brainpower to do) was because he was too busy with his weed. Although he is still using his scientific mind. To maximize the harvest from his plants. I'm not quite sure how the explained the total lack of ambition away in their heads. I don't really want to know.

These are, after all, the same parents who, after Sweetie and I had been sharing a 600 square foot 1-bedroom apartment wondered if Sweetie and I were ever going to become "more than friends."

Someday I'll have the nerve to tell them about the time they picked me up at the airport and they thought I was just really, really tired that I was really drunker than I'd ever been in my life, the drunkest I've ever been in fact. How when I went to work the next day I was still a little bit tipsy.

Someday. But not quite yet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Army of Mom said...

You need friends like LabKat who will tell your parents for you!!! I swear to God at my last baby shower, LabKat and mutual friend, KN, were telling my mom all about my drunken night at the all-male revue. I could have crawled under a rock and died right there. Not that my mom was totally shocked, but still.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Swankette said...

Must be something to do with showers, because a LOT of my secrets almost got revealed at this weekend's wedding shower.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home