Friday, July 22, 2005

Procrastination = Meme Time

OK, I'll bite:

What were you doing 25 years ago: The summer between 3rd and 4th grade. So I'd put my money on kick the can. We used to play a LOT of kick the can on Illahee Street. There's something magical about growing up on a street with a lot of other kids around.

What were you doing 20 years ago: The summer between 8th and 9th grade. I believe that was the summer I was let loose with a bus pass and went swimming almost every single day at the rec center. Last year Sports Illustrated did a 50-week series in honor of their 50th anniversary where each week they'd select a state, and among other features would name the "SI Sports Town" of the state. When they got around to Oregon the selected "Tualtin Hills." Except Tualatin Hills isn't a town. Spreading across the western suburbs of Portland is the "Tualatin Hills Parks and Recreation District," which is just a network of parks and pools and such. They offer swimming lessons and tennis lessons and other activities to keep kids and such entertained. The rec center was their landmark facility, that featured a ton of tennis courts (both indoors and outdoors) and an olympic sized pool. I suppose the rec center is large enough to be considered a town, but it's not. However, it did provide me with tons of entertainment over the years.

What were you doing 15 years ago: aka THE LONGEST SUMMER VACATION EVER. I spent the previous year at a private college that operated on a semester system, and was transferring to a state school on a quarter system. That meant school ended in mid-May and I did not go back to school until the end of September. This would be right around the time I quit my job as a checker at Target to go work at a packaging facility that did all the packaging for Daisy Kingdom. It was a better paying job, with a set schedule and an opportunity to work with a couple of good friends. The catch was I couldn't do the responsible thing and give two weeks notice at Target. When I gave my three days notice the HR director informed me that by not giving full notice I would never be employable by Target again in my life. Once I accepted my fate the HR director congratulated me on my decision -- she knew I wasn't in it for advancement opportunities, but just trying to earn some money towards a college education.

What were you doing 10 years ago: 1995. A year out of college. Working, sharing an apartment with a friend. There was a lot of drinking, a lot of parties, a lot of drama that summer.

What were you doing 5 years ago: Working for an organization that was attempting to buy two baseball teams, a soccer team, and secure an operating agreement for a stadium about to undergo a multi-million dollar renovation. So there is a 50% chance that I was working a baseball game with the box office director, counting cash and balancing out ticket sales. When not working at games I was assembling contracts and singlehandedly destroying rainforests in Brazil - i.e. making something like 10 copies of every damn contract we had in preparation for the closing in which the financing and operating agreements for said teams and stadium were all finalized in a 48 hour marathon.

What were you doing 1 year ago: Probably yelling at the television, as that was the last day of the "season" for Jeopardy, and Ken Jennings was still winning, damn that game show ho. Also getting really darn excited for the first vacation in my life that required a passport.

What were you doing yesterday: After the dentist's appointment, same thing I'm doing right now - procrastinating from all the work I need to do in preparation for the wedding and making a little more progress on the newest Harry Potter tome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home