Monday, August 29, 2005

All Sports All The Time

On April 15, 2000, I started working for a minor league baseball team. It was a standing joke in my circle of friends at the time. Swankette, working for a sports team!?! Who'da thunk it? I've always enjoyed sports, but sometime shortly after the turn of the millenium I went from a passive enjoyer of sports to an active sports fan.

As in, my recent past and immediate future is consumed with sports. Just take a look:
  • Fantasy baseball, which is always there. I'm actually kinda trying to not think about this, as The House of Swank SUCKS this year. But I can't get mad at Roy Halladay for breaking his ankle. (Yet I can get mad at Curt Schilling for sucking this year. The logic difficult to explain in this regard, but Curt got cut at the All-Star supplemental, and Roy will hopefully still be a keeper for next season.)
  • Went to the Mariners game last Friday with Sweetie. All twelve innings of it. And got a wee bit jealous when I realized that I wouldn't get to see Felix Hernandez vs. Randy Johnson this Wednesday at Safeco and Sweetie would. (Taking his nephew in an annual tradition for said nephew's birthday present)
  • Went to the Storm game last Thusday with Sweetie.
  • Going to the Storm Playoff game this Friday with Sweetie and some friends.
  • Going to a Portland Beavers game this Saturday with Portland friends and family. (If you're interested in attending and haven't gotten the e-mails let me know pronto. Doesn't even matter if we've never met before. And if you have gotten the e-mails, still need to know what the group name should be if we make it to the magic number of 15, or I get to decide all on my own).
  • Participating in a Fantasy Football League for the first time EVER this year.
  • Going to Vegas for NFL opening weekend, for said fantasy draft AND just to watch the football. And this year I actually plan on hanging out in the sports book and watching the games, not playing the nickel slots all day like I did last time we were in Vegas for the big day.
  • And when sitting at home, which obviously doesn't happen very often, it seems there's always a baseball game on thanks to MLB Extra Innings.

But please, even though I suppose I am a Green Bay Packers fan, if I ever even SUGGEST wearing a wedge of cheese on my head, please have me committed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

Ha! I insisted we order Sunday Ticket from DirecTV so I can get every game on Sunday, even though hubby will be covering the Vikes! Yes, I sit at home on Sunday and watch NFL games. I live and die with the USC Trojans. I am closely watching the AL Wild Card since the Indians are only 1 game out, but still think they can catch the White Sox and win the division.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home