Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Gift That Keeps on Giving

Thanks to Pesky Apostrophe for pointing me to the First Amendment Project Auction. First Amendment Project is "a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and promoting freedom of information, expression and petition."

Sixteen authors are donating a chance for you to bid to appear in an upcoming book of theirs. If you're looking to get me something, here are the ones I think you should bid on for me (and why):

Peter Straub: "The name of a minor character who will appear in my next full-length work of fiction, which will probably be published in 2007. Bidders are asked to submit their own names only, preferably without middle name or initial, and should be advised that the fictional person who winds up bearing his or her name may be of dubious moral character."

-- Never heard of the guy, but I like the idea that I could be immortalized in a novel as a person of dubious moral character.

Stephen King: "One (and only one) character name in a novel called CELL, which is now in work and which will appear in either 2006 or 2007. Buyer should be aware that CELL is a violent piece of work, which comes complete with zombies set in motion by bad cell phone signals that destroy the human brain. Like cheap whiskey, it's very nasty and extremely satisfying. Character can be male or female, but a buyer who wants to die must in this case be female. In any case, I'll require physical description of auction winner, including any nickname (can be made up, I don't give a rip)."

-- One, Stephen King. Two, zombies set in motion by bad cell phone signals that destroy the human brain. Three, he's asking for a nickname. I've got a nickname, and if you allow me to appear in Stephen King's book as Sammy I promise I'll tell the whole internet the whole story!

Dave Eggers: "The winner will be featured in a strange illustrated story I'm working on called The Journey of the Fishes Overland. The winner, or someone of her/his choosing, will be encountered by the traveling fish in question, as they travel over land. It could also be a family, a house, an address, whatever. I get to decide why the fishes see this person/place, and what's said by/to or done by/to the person/place. This story will be finished and published in the fall. The name/s have to be tasteful and be undisruptive to the narrative. I reserve the right to refuse using a name I find offensive."

-- Which is more cool, getting killed by zombies or encountered by traveling fish? I really can't decide.

Would make a fabulous early Christmas present! Although I'm sure the prices will get quite high, so perhaps you all should pool your funds.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

Peter Straub is a good author - I've read a few of his books. I do like Stephen King a lot, although I prefer his short stories. However, I would love to be killed off by a zombie. The last one seems interesting as well, but way too much like my real life dreams.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home