Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Amazing Race 8: Predictions

We are less than a month from the next Season of The Amazing Race. CBS has the new teams up on the website, so that means it's time for predictions for who I will be rooting for this coming season.

This time around they've added a twist, and instead of teams of two they are having "families" of four participate. In the promos they seemed to encourage non-traditional families, so I'm a bit dissapointed that they didn't seem to go that far outside of the box in defining a family. All of the teams are either a parent/child combination of some variety, or a straight sibling alliance. The most "non-traditional" team is a father competing with his three sons-in-law. There are a billion different iterations of family relationships I can come up with staying within those boxes, and then you can start to extend to cousins and aunts and granparents, and what about truly non-traditional families? The 1980's had Kate and Allie, why can't The Amazing Race?

That said, I'm going for the most non-traditional family of the bunch, the Aiello's, which is the father with his three sons-in-law. They've got great breadth and depth (a cop and a public relations negotiator), are all grown-ups (a couple of teams have pre-teens on their roster), and are just removed enough from each other family-wise, that I think they have less dysfunction and drama to overcome than the other families do. As an added bonus, they aren't wearing matching outfits on the website, which is always a pet peeve of mine.

I'm intrigued as to how this season will play out, as things like road blocks will have to be reworked, and can the really make the race fair when you have teams of all adults competing against teams with teens and pre-teens among them.

The drama factor should be high this summer, as there are a LOT of cute teenagers in full hormonal throes participating, and I suspect some of those kids may be more interested in hooking up with race-mates than in the million dollars that I'm sure Mom and Dad are planning to use for their college fund.

So mark your calendars, Tuesday, September 27, the new race begins.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

I might have to TiVO this one. They will have to something to even the field. I'd much rather trust an adult if I was traipsing through a foreign country (except for my mom, but that's a whole other story).
Just Say No to Matching Outfits. Heck, I'll go change if Don comes down wearing a denim shirt and I have one on.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home