Thursday, August 11, 2005

Last Night's Dream

I rarely remember my dreams, but last night's was too freakin' cool that it needs to go down in the record books.

I was at a party at someone's house, the sort of which we all attended at some point in college or our twenties with several dozen people just wandering around a house and drinking. But this party was special, as it had a band that would be playing. Specifically, the Violent Femmes (who are, for those keeping score at home, my favorite band of all time) were playing.

And it was, without a doubt, the most unique performance I have ever seen. They weren't playing their instruments, they were more playing the house. The CD was playing in the background, and they were singing over the top of it, in addition to performing on the infrastructure. I don't recall all of what they played during their performance, but I know that while they were setting up Victor De Lorenzo (the drummer) was banging on a pipe that extended from floor to ceiling, trying to find the right spot to hit to get the correct tones. Even cooler, Brian Ritchie (bassist extrordinaire) was tuning the water. Yep, you read that right, the water. There was a faucet that he turned on full blast, and he was doing that trick where you put something in to interrupt the stream of water, and it makes the sound of the water coming out of the faucet sound different. And since it was imaginary water coming out of the faucet in my dream it sounded really darn cool.

Because they were basically singing over the CD it meant that during instrumental songs (of which zero exist in real life, but at least one existed in my dream) they could wander into the other room to socialize with people and drink some beers. Except then when the next song came on which involved singing we'd have to scream at them to get their butts back in here and keep the performance going.

I have no idea what the dream means, and don't really care, but how cool would that be if something like that could happen in real life?

3 Comments:

Blogger kaphine said...

Gee!!!! I have often wished dreams could be recorded and played back like videos. I wanna watch that one. REally badly.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Shannin said...

I love dreams, and luckily I dream a lot and very vividly. My husband loves hearing my dreams because they are so off the wall (giraffes as waiters in tuxedos, for instance).

2:38 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Sounds like you need the Dream Project. I'd love to see this one.

http://www.thedreamproject.org/

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home